Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I Got It From My Daddy

R.I.P. to my Father Well Known Artist William "Snooky" Alexander who passed away April 2010. I was  saddened by my fathers passing he was a wonderful man a very Talented well known Professional Artist, his paintings have been in exhibits and sold upward to 10k-15k a piece. Snooky Alexander was the Editor n Chief of the very first Black Fashion Magazine in the 60's. He designed most of the comic book covers for the now collectors comic books Thor, Vampire and Horror. Snooky Alexander did alot of Art work for Herman Monster from the legendary show "Monsters". William "Snooky" Alexander was also the one who brought us the "Zoot Suits"..

He designed the album cover for Ray Charles 1966 Grammy Winning Album "Crying Time" after being asked by Ray Charles Manager Joe Adams. Snooky Alexander designed a pair of Glasses for the album cover which they liked so much they had a pair made from the design in which Ray Charles wore from 1966 until his death, known worldwide as Loc's! It was interesting watching the movie "Ray" many of the characters portrayed were friends of my parents.



Snooky Alexander was also head illustrator for a very popular newsstand magazine in NYC for 16 yrs. He was a visionary and innovator his Art work impeccable as well as a professional photographer well respected in the world of Art and photography. The celebration of his life was held at the Bonaventure Hotel in L.A. with 100s of people gathered to give honor and see a display of some of his Fabulous Art Work. 

He had some very close friends also well known Artists and Photographers such as Cliff Hall, Howard Morehead who passed in 03 and Lamonte McLemore original member of The Fifth Dimensions who is a Professional photographer for Playboy, Ebony, Jet, People, and Harper's Bazaar magazines http://www.lamontephotography.com/ . I thank God for my Artistic ability from my father. He was truely gifted, loved now missed by many. Love you pops, R.I.P. William "Snooky" Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment